Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving Hits and Misses

After eating two huge Thanksgiving meals we definitely had a few hits and a few misses.

Hits:

KB's mom's coconut fudge.  It sounds gross, but it is absolutely delish.  I'm currently eating some now with my coffee.  It's so delightfully nutty, creamy and coconutty, without being overpowering.  I ended up eating this instead of pumpkin pie.

courtesy of About.com

My sweet potatoes that everyone thought would be gross.  I'm happy to report that almost everyone (except for KB) liked my Parmesan and Pecan sweet potatoes.  They weren't too cheesy, but had just enough bite to keep from being too sweet.  KB still liked the traditional sweet potato casserole with the brown sugar and pecans on top.

courtesy of RealSimple.com

Misses:

My hot buttered rum was a miss for most people.  It seems weird to say, but it was just too buttery!  Me, KB, my dad and my sister all shared one cup (yeah we have no germ boundaries in our household) and that was all that was drank.  It was good once you skimmed the layer of butter fat off the top, which seemed pretty gross.  Next time I make it (if there even is a next time) I'll more than likely use way less butter or even clarified butter.

courtesy of FoodNetwork.com
My Mini Honey Almond Cranberry Crostatdas were also a miss for most people.  They were fairly easy to make, but were so sour I think a lot of people were afraid to eat them.  Only one of them got eaten and I can't really blame anyone.  I tried to doctor them up with honey and sugar, but they still were so sour that your back teeth hurt.  KB ended up choking them down for breakfast this morning.  They looked cute, but were just too much for most people.

courtesy of Pillsbury.com

What were your Thanksgiving hits and misses?

2 comments:

  1. That fudge looks divine! I can't do the hot buttered rum usually for that same reason! Hope you guys had a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hot buttered rum- I have a good recipe somewhere that I will try to remember to share with you. The cranberry things look delish. Did you use fresh cranberries instead of canned? That might be why they were so sour.

    ReplyDelete