Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Around the House....

We've gotten a few small projects done around the house recently.  We're not even close to being done with things, but we're getting a lot of the small stuff our of the way for now before the big stuff gets too crazy.

Here's what we've been up to....


My new dresser I bought off of Craigslist for $50.  The guy we bought it from was cleaning out the old farmhouse on some property he inherited from his grandparents.  I was more than happy to take it off his hands.  I was planning on painting it, but once I got it cleaned up with some lemon oil I ended up liking the really dark wood so I just kept it.  I'm planning on painting my closet room a dark purple, so hopefully the dark finish won't be too dark.  I'm also on the lookout for a new place to keep my jewelry.  I have a ton of jewelry and my little jewelry box won't hold it all.  It also looks kind of weird sticking up in front of the mirror part.

My favorite part are the drawer pulls.  They have these really cool colored glass orbs in them.  The guy said he thought his grandparents put them on in the '20s but he wasn't sure.  I took it with a grain of salt (this guy was a little weird), but once I got them off and researched them I'm pretty sure he was right.  The company that made them went out of business in the depression era, so they can't be much older than that.


We got some new curtains for the living room.  I didn't even really want curtains at all.  The upstairs living room looks out onto the front porch and lets in a ton of light.  While perusing the Wal-Mart clearance aisle, I found these sheet ones for $5.  I figured it was too good to pass up and snagged them.  Disregard the girl on TV clearly having some sort of issue because she didn't win beach volleyball.


I really like the big grommets on them.  For Wal-Mart and $5 they are actually pretty high quality.


I've also done some work turning our nasty gold door knobs from this.....to this....


It's amazing what spray paint will do.  It was actually really simple and it makes them look much more put together.


The same guy that we bought the dresser off of also gave us this painting.  He said he was planning on taking it to Goodwill, so I took it instead.  I've cleaned it up a lot.  When we first got it there was a nice layer of cobwebs and nastiness on it.  The wood and the painting itself is pretty distressed, but I like it.  It's a lovely beach scene.  KB says it looks like bad hotel art, but I kinda like it.  You can also see our new bedroom color in the background.  It's Benjamin Moore Summer Shower.  It's a nice light blue color that's not too blue, but sort of grey.

We still have a TON of stuff to do, but we're getting there!

1 comment:

  1. That dresser is absolutely amazing, so beautiful. It is very like one that I have been lusting over and will buy myself when I have my own place, that isn't a one year contract.
    Brilliant job with those door knobs too, most people would just go out and buy new ones, but they look fantastic spray painted!
    Have a great week!
    Zoe
    x

    http://wondrous-marvellous-obsession.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete