Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Infestation

We're infested.  With these:

That's right....our good buddy drosophilia melangastor.  Fruit flies always make me think of high school biology where you had to breed them for certain characteristics.  Somebody's flies inevitably got out of their holder and infested the school for a few weeks.  Maybe that was just my high school...

My kitchen is now infested.  I'm not really sure where they came from.  We're pretty clean people.  I compost all the old food, so it isn't even in the house, I always make sure to empty out my drain trap everyday into the compost bin, and I store all the fruit and vegetables we have in the fridge (even bananas).

I think I'm going to have to bring out the big guns.
My homemade traps with vinegar, plastic wrap and dishwashing liquid are sort of working, but not enough to control the issue.

It seriously makes me feel like I'm on an episode of Hoarders where those people always have those fly strips that are full.  Shew!

2 comments:

  1. We never bred flies. The infestation part sounds way gross.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that fruit fly trap it works like a charm. I have to keep my fruit in the frig because it gets so bad and its just disgusting.

    xo

    ReplyDelete